Postpartum mental health changes – including depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and psychosis – occur in some women after giving birth. These changes present themselves with symptoms that vary widely from woman to woman. The symptoms becoming consuming and can make the newborn phase difficult for moms and other members of a household. If you or someone you know is experiencing any changes in the way they are feeling or acting, please Reach Out. Reach out for yourself, reach out to the new mom at preschool pick-up or to the mom whose 15 month old has yet to sleep through the night. Write a letter, send a text message, or make a phone call.
Talking about mental health disorders has for too long been a hush hush topic. It is time we allow those going through these situations to step out of the darkness and help them find themselves again. Below is a list of resources, categorized by type, available to those experiencing mental health changes in any stage of parenthood. Many of these resources provide free assistance and privacy is of the utmost importance.
- National Alliance on Mental Health – 1-800-950-6264 or, in a crisis? Text NAMI to 741741
- National Emergency Crisis Text Line – text HOME to 741741 from anywhere in the USA, anytime, about any type of crisis.
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline – 1-800-273-8255
- Postpartum Support HelpLine – call to get basic information, support, and resources – 1-800-944-4773(4PPD)
- Postpartum Support International – free, live phone sessions every week – chat number: 1-800-944-8766/participant code 73162 – click here for more information
- Depression After Delivery Support Group – Bay City – contact Sherry LaMere or Kelli Wilkinson at 989-895-2240
- Moms Bloom – Grand Rapids – Mom to Mom Support
- Tree of Hope Foundation – Metro Detroit – meeting in multiple locations – Facebook page
- PPD Support Group at Hurley Medical Center – Flint
- PPD Support Group – Grand Haven – North Ottawa Community Hospital – 616-847-5145
- Spectrum Health PPD Support Group – Grand Rapids – Nancy Roberts at 616-391-1771 or 616-391-5000
- Postpartum Support International – Perinatal Mood Support
- Postpartum Support International’s Closed Facebook Group
- PSI Online Support Meeting – held weekly
*Always take caution to protect yourself and others when sharing information in an online format*
We are not healthcare professionals and this resource is not intended to diagnosis, treat, or substitute the expertise of healthcare providers. However, we are all moms, some of whom have experienced mental health changes postpartum, that want to reach out and say, ‘We are here for you. You are not alone.’ If you know of a resource that may be a helpful addition to those listed above, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org